Mold Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A simple dictionary definition of mold describes mold as "a growth of fungi that forms on material and is associated with decay or dampness." Mold is naturally occurring and is natures way of turning dead things back into dirt. In one sense, mold is a good and important part of the natural lifecycle of plants and material. But in a home or commercial property, mold is destructive and invasive.
Mold can grow in your property in as little as 48 hours when there's elevated levels of moisture or a water intrusion. There is also a health aspect to mold; mold in a property can affect individual health and shouldn't be ignored. Below are some tips of first steps to take when you discover mold on your property.
Have a Mold Problem?
Call Us Today – (617) 227-2200
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Boston Downtown / Back Bay / South Boston and SERVPRO of Dorchester for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
Mold Remediation Services
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Boston Downtown / Back Bay / South Boston and SERVPRO of Dorchester has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Back Bay
- South Boston
- Financial District
- South End
- North End
- Theatre District