What You Can Do to Save on Your Heating Bill
Any season is a good season to save energy costs. With winter approaching, however, it’s even more critical as prices for home heating fuel are as volatile as ever.
The U.S. Department of Energy has the following fuel saving tips for consumers:
- Look for furnaces with annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) ratings of no less than 78 percent.
- Place heat-resistant radiator reflectors between exterior walls and radiators.
- Bleed trapped air from hot water radiators once or twice a season or have a professional do it.
- Clean warm-air registers and baseboard heaters and make sure they are not blocked by furniture, carpeting or drapes.
- Clean or replace filters on furnaces once a month or as needed.
- To retain heat, turn off kitchen, bath and other ventilating fans within 20 minutes after you are done cooking or bathing.
- Install a programmable thermostat that can adjust the temperature according to your work schedule and sleeping habits.
- Energy Star products can cut energy bills up to 30 percent. Locate retailers online at www.energystar.gov when replacing heating systems, appliances, lighting, windows, office equipment and home electronics.
- Insulate hot water heaters and pipes.
- Make sure your furnace or heat pump is tuned up by a professional at least once a year.
Frank Mattos Awarded SERVPRO CEO Award
Local SERVPRO franchise owner, Frank Mattos, was recently recognized with SERVPRO Industries, Inc.’s CEO Award for “Creating an Excellent Organization.” The award acknowledges offices with an outstanding work environment, and it is the second time Mattos has received this honor.
Mattos is the owner of Mattos & Associates, Inc., a management and business development company that operates SERVPRO of Providence, Warwick/East Greenwich, Cranston; SERVPRO of Boston Downtown, Back Bay & South Boston; SERVPRO of Weymouth & Hingham; and SERVPRO of Quincy.
Mattos’ SERVPRO franchises rank in the top ten of all national SERVPRO franchises, and he previously has been awarded “SERVPRO Franchise of the Year,” which recognizes the top franchisee for loyalty, support, attitude and growth within the SERVPRO system. A recognized leader within the SERVPRO system, Mattos is a Team Member of the national SERVPRO Disaster Recovery Team, which provides commercial disaster recovery services for commercial large losses throughout the country.
“This recognition reflects the focus of our team members who continuously aspire to achieve professional and personal success,” said Mattos. “Our organization is focused on providing exemplary customer service, and I am proud of our entire team for rising to the occasion during one of busiest times of the year.”
ABOUT MATTOS & ASSOCIATES
Mattos & Associates, LLC manages SERVPRO of Providence, SERVPRO of Weymouth & Hingham, and SERVPRO of Boston Downtown/Back Bay/South Boston, which provide fire and water cleanup and restoration for homes and businesses in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Mattos’ SERVPRO franchises currently are ranked in the top ten among the 1,600 franchises in the country for sales volume and customer service, and were awarded “SERVPRO Franchise of the Year,” which recognizes the top franchisee for loyalty, support, attitude and growth within the SERVPRO system. Founded in 1967, SERVPRO is a national leader and provider of fire, water, mold, biohazard and other specialty cleanup and restoration services.